When filling out the FAFSA (the Free Application for Federal Student Aid form), you need your financial information on hand and sometimes it can be hard to get your hands on. “The IRS Data Retrieval Tool is available to use with the 2019‒2020 FAFSA Form.” The IRS Data Retrieval Tool (IRS DRT) electronically transfers your federal tax return information into your FAFSA form, this greatly simplifies your application process.
What you need to know:
- Applicants filing a 2019-20 FAFSA must use data from their 2017 tax returns.
- Students and parents who are eligible to use the IRS Data Retrieval Tool can access it from within the Free Application for Federal Student Aid.
- If you do not have a copy of your tax return, some other options are as follows
- Access the tax software product used to prepare and file your 2017 return.
- Contact the tax preparer or provider who filed your 2017 return.
- Download their tax transcript at Get Transcript Online. They should remember to review the identity authentication requirements for Secure Access before attempting to register.